Excess CO2/algae problem?

For the past few weeks, two subjects on this digest have caused me to
tilt my head and wonder.  I suspect that they may be related...

1)  CO2 is clearly a necessary additive for Amano-style, luxurious
"Dutch" planted aquariums.  Such incredible results can't be achieved
without it.  However, you can achieve an impressive tank (the kind that
even impresses other hobbyists) which requires two or three trimmings a
week, has happily flowering plants, and nicely reddish tinges to the
bunch plants, without adding even a DIY CO2 setup.  Ditto for the 3-4
watts per gallon (I have 2).  It seems that often, beginners lurk on
this list for a while, and are led to believe that, if they don't set up
CO2 injection and a 'these-go-to-11' lighting setup, their ambulia will
never survive.

2)  An awful lot of people on this list are having serious trouble with
algae.  With the tank setup described above, I've never had an algae
problem.  Granted, I just started wth plants in my tanks about a year
ago, but I've yet to see what an algae bloom even looks like.

I suspect that this is partly a result of beginner hobbyists being too
quick to rush into 'ideal' setups, and even expert hobbyists placing too
much of an emphasis on CO2 injection and extremely high levels of
light.  I've had more than one expert, whose advice I have used and
valued, express some version of "I'm surprised you're getting any growth
at all without injecting CO2".

Might I suggest an alternative solution to some of these algae
problems?  Get rid of the CO2 and cut back to 2 watts per gallon?
Perhaps even cut back on the fertilizer?  You can always add them again
later, but since you've clearly got algae exploiting resources that your
plants aren't taking full advantage of...

Alysoun McLaughlin
alysoun at planetall_com
in Wheaton, Maryland