Re: Proposed anti-plant legislation

Hi,

My two cents worth.

This morning I was watching pond snails in my tank.  I was
reminded of many of the posts whose focus seems to be that
someone or something (industry, sewage, over fertilization, etc.)
is responsible for foreign plant infestations, resultant eco-
system imbalance, etc.

But than I realized that even though I have taken great pains to keep
pond snails out of my own TINY LITTLE microcosm I failed. And
further that my attempts to control their current numbers also fail.

I mention this because my experience is somewhat common to
other aquarists as well and in the wider world beyond each of our
microcosms, the same problem is happening only in a much larger
scale and with more species. Even if everyone tries to be careful I
am tempted to say you can't be careful enough.

I am not going to sound expert here. But I have had the opportunity
to live through the following:

   a) one 2 acre pond which went from viable to
       overly fertile to stagnant;

   b) one brackish water inlet which went from viable to
       needing dredging every 5 years or so following completion
       of a damming project.

    c) one sound with abundant and clean clam, blue fish, and stripe
        bass populations which turned to a sound with clam, blue fish,
        and stripe bass populations which were inedible to
        elevated levels of PCB due to a power plant's requirement
        for the same water those species used.

I had learned a long time ago from my father to make sense of each
of these ecological disasters. Basically, man is an intrusion upon nature
and further that in the end nature wins.  In this sense devastated water
ways are only a small component of man's ambivalence with nature.
But still pertinent. And my pond snail population is not isolated but
symbolic.

We must all do our part.

Christopher Coleman
christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net