Re: Proposed anti-plant legislation

>Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 01:45:27 -0500
>From: "M.J. George" <yurko at warwick_net>
>Subject: Re: Proposed anti-plant legislation
>
>At least one thing can be counted as "good" about this proposed
>legislation: It advocates a positive list, i.e. which plants are
>excluded from importation, not a list of plants *allowed* to be
>imported, as happens in some European countries.

I don't know if what Dave G. posted was the text of the legislation, but it
didn't read like a law to me.  However, in the letter posted on the APD, it
didn't mention import, but rather sale of aquatic plants.

I note this because I went to a place on Friday that was selling pond
supplies.  The owner had plenty of water lettuce and water hyacinth (both
illegal for sale in Texas) in his displays.  I asked him about them and he
promptly told me that he can't sell them and that they aren't for sale, but
that nothing prevents him from giving them to customers when they buy
something else.

The distinction between making something available for sale, importing it,
transferring it, or owning it is sometimes not made by lawmakers, but it
can make a big difference in whether or not a targeted species is made
unavailable.

--
David W. Webb
Live-Foods list administrator