Re: H2O2, chelated metals

Augie Eppler wrote:

[Snip]

> As I write this, I realize that I have no idea of the chemical processes
> taking place...

Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful chemical oxidant, in the same category
with chlorine bleach and potassium permanganate.  Living tissue is based
on chains of reduced carbon atoms and other chemicals in mostly reduced
states.  Hydrogen peroxide oxidizes (effectively "burns") those molecules.
It will do this to most anything, including the gills of your favorite
fish, the bacteria in your tank (it is after all used as an antiseptic
because of this effect) and to one extent or another, any and every living
thing in your aquarium.

I hope the results are good enough to justify the risks you are taking.

-------------------------

Re:  plant uptake of chelated iron:

My reading leads me to think that plants must transport iron in a chelated
state.  At least some plants (grasses, specifically) will release
chelating agents through their roots when they are stressed for iron,
apparently in an attempt to scavenge otherwise insoluble forms.

Iron forms stable hydroxide complexes, polymers and amorphous hydroxide
precipates in the presence of oxygen at "normal" pH.  I don't think plants
use the hydroxide complexes and I doubt they can transport the solids.  It
seems like plants must move iron from roots to leaves and shoots in a
chelated form or the iron would precipitate and form iron deposits within
the plant before it got to where the plant needed it.

Roger Miller