[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #383


At "normal" pH (say, 5-9) hydrogen proxide decomposes into water and
oxygen. No hydrogen is ever evolved. 

Biologically, the reaction is catalyzed by different peroxidases -- an
organism's defense against LOW concentrations of H2O2. 

Heavy metals, particularly chromium, cobalt and iron also catalyze the
decomposition of H2O2.

I would NOT treat an *entire* tank with hydrogen peroxide, because any
damage may not be visible for a while. Why not try H2O2 on a small
scale, wait couple of days and if no adverse reaction is evident, then
try it on the tank.


George S

> ------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:19:16 EDT
> From: RDotta7777 at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #382
> In a message dated 98-07-13 16:10:17 EDT, you write:
> << Seeing how nothing was affected, including the algae, I decided to try
>  the 4 oz in one whack. Quite by accident, I poured it onto a piece of
>  algae covered bog wood, that extended within 3 or 4" of the surface.
>  Within 2-3 minutes that spot of algae began to bubble profusely. >>
> I'm not a expert in plants, but with microbiology I am familiar.  The blue-
> green "algae" is not algae but a anaerobic bacteria (cyano bacteria).
> Hydrogen Peroxide kills anaerobic bacteria (that's why it's used on cuts).  It
> makes them explode (if I remember) .  I would be interested, but surprised if
> it kills real green algae.  If you continue the experiment (adding peroxide
> H2O2) to water eventually gives water plus a hydrogen atom - hydrogen gas -
> hence the bubbles), adding it slowing and with caution (pH changes), please
> let me know what happens.