Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #383

Hello,

At "normal" pH (say, 5-9) hydrogen proxide decomposes into water and
oxygen. No hydrogen is ever evolved.

Biologically, the reaction is catalyzed by different peroxidases -- an
organism's defense against LOW concentrations of H2O2.

Heavy metals, particularly chromium, cobalt and iron also catalyze the
decomposition of H2O2.

I would NOT treat an *entire* tank with hydrogen peroxide, because any
damage may not be visible for a while. Why not try H2O2 on a small
scale, wait couple of days and if no adverse reaction is evident, then
try it on the tank.

Best,

George S