Re: New Plant Tank

>Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 12:49:38 -0400
>From: Henry Hatch <hhatch at sprynet_com>
>Subject: New Plant Tank
>
>I've been keeping fish only tanks for many years and have decided to try
>plants. My question is whether it would be better to cycle the tank
>initially with fish and no plants to stabilize the system, or should I
>plant right away.

Plant right away.  If you don't plant it, you have to cycle it.  If you do
plant it with the appropriate plants and provide the plants with conditions
that allow them to grow, the tank may never cycle because the plants will
consume ammonium before it can become a problem in the tank.

p.s.

Thanks Roger for correcting me on the chlorine/chlorophyll error.

--
David W. Webb
Live Foods list administrator