measuring calcium and magnesium

>Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 02:55:04 -0700
>From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>Subject: measuring calcium and magnesium
>
>For measuring alkalinity, I propose that we should use units of
>equivalent CO3-- however there may be a more precise scientific measure.
>The units of KH, while common, are nearly as _abhorrent_ as the other
>measures of hardness.

Ah!  I should've kept reading before responding.  I submit that a
conversion table indicating that 1 dH KH is approximately 17.9 or so ppm
CO3-- equivalent in alkalinity and don't presume to tell people which they
should use.

--
David W. Webb, who also thinks degrees F is more granular and therefore
better for non-scientific measurements than degrees C and still likes miles