Re: Re: Algae: Friend or Foe?

>Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:30:57 -0600 (MDT)
>From: George Booth <booth at lvld_hp.com>
>Subject: Re: Algae: Friend or Foe?

>>> AND lot's of algae.
>>
>> Well... I havent seen ANY ! Show your pics and I'll show you
>> mine! Even in the Optimum Aquarium there are many pics of natural
>> biosystems where you CANNOT find ANY algae.
>
>Maybe my copy of TOA is different from yours. I went through mine page by
page
>last night and almost every picture of a natural ecosystem that had plants
>growing underwater had algae in it.
My copy of TOA is the translation from German of the 7th edition, and it
was published in 1992.

I'll give an example:
1st page Chapter 6 - Sri Lanka river pic => no algae.

3rd page Chapter 7 - underwater pics, lot of mud, probably flocculated iron
but no algae. Only in 3rd pic out of 4 there is a little presence of green
algae on the border of ONE leaf.... NOT ENOUGH to prove anything anyway.

1st page Chapter 9 - tHAY river pic with Cripts => no algae.
even in all the subsequent pics of this chap you cant see ANY algae at all.

>Also, I noticed in my copy of the new Tropica catalog that the author
clearly
>states that algae is found everywhere plants can grow.
I dont have the catalog but I may believe it... but a lot depends whether
or not the natural condition of the biotope has been changing cuz of human
presence or not.
In many pics that C. Kasselmann provided in her presentations on AH
magazine or others apparently there is no trace of algae presence.

                \ |
                _\|_
              .' '.' '.        ___     BYE from Luca
            _.|.--.--.|.___.--'___`-.  and his little Goofy !:-))
              |_|   |_|
               `.`-'.'