Re: Algae: Friend or Foe?

Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 14:44:46 +0200
From: Luca Specchio <luckyluca at mclink_it>

>> Almost all photos I've seen of natural plant ecosystems
>> seem to have two characteristics that are not found in
>> a typical plant tank - mostly a single species of plant
>
> correct!

Thank you.

>> AND lot's of algae.
>
> Well... I havent seen ANY ! Show your pics and I'll show you
> mine! Even in the Optimum Aquarium there are many pics of natural
> biosystems where you CANNOT find ANY algae.

Maybe my copy of TOA is different from yours. I went through mine page by page
last night and almost every picture of a natural ecosystem that had plants
growing underwater had algae in it. Some algae might have been difficult to see
at first glance but it was there. I'll do a page-by-page review off the list if
you want to.

Also, I noticed in my copy of the new Tropica catalog that the author clearly
states that algae is found everywhere plants can grow.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado
 Do you want to know how I did it?
  http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/AquaticConcepts