Re: Salt

     >>I am trying to keep some particularly delicate native fish. I have
     >>found that I need to add a bit of salt to the water to help with
     >>some problems. If I remember right I read that most plants can't
     >>tolerate salt even in low concentrations?

     >Seachem has a product called Live Bearer/Brackish Aquarium Salt. They
     >say it "is not just another rock salt or sodium chloride. It is a
     >blend of the major ions found in estuary waters and is ideal for live
     >bearers and brackish fish as well as ideal for use as routine
     >aquarium salt. Since it contains much less chloride than regular
     >aquarium salt, it can be used in planted aquaria as directed without
     >adverse effects on most plants."  I have not used it yet but I'm
     >considering it for my son's platy tank to be.  If anyone has tried it
     >I'd be interested to hear from them. Hopefully this helps.

     Since brackish water is simply diluted seawater, my guess is this
     product is merely sea salt, like marine aquarium keepers use.  I would
     also venture to guess it is more expensive ;-).  I'd pick up a bag of
     Instant Ocean and use that instead.

     Sea salt is composed of 84% NaCl (by weight), so you aren't really
     getting that much less NaCl.  I heartily agree it is superior to rock
     salt, though, as it has Ca, Mg, K and many other useful ions.

     I am curious what native fish Kudzu is trying to keep.  If they are
     brackish, why not set up a brackish aquarium and plant Caulerpa?  They
     can tolerate salinities as "low" as 10% sea water.  The fish will do
     well there also, up to full strength sea water.

     Regards,

     Mark