Re: buffering capacity

> Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 23:43:34 EDT
> From: RDotta7777 at aol_com
>
> It seems that the buffering capacity is the issue.  The water measures a
> Carbonate hardness of 40ppm with the LeMotte test kit which I equated to a dCH
> = 5.06.

I don't think LaMotte makes a "carbonate hardness" test kit. Which test kit did
you actually use?

They make an alkalinity test kit with measures in CaCO3 equivalents. To get dKH
from alkalinity (assuming bicarbonates are the only alkalinity producing ions in
the water) divide ppm by 17.8.

A dKH of 2.2 and a pH of 6.1 indicates a CO2 level of about 55 mg/L. I would
suspect your CO2 would NOT be this high - that's a potentially lethal level.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado
 Do you want to know how I did it?
  http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/AquaticConcepts