Re: Cedar

     With all the discussion about cedar, I thought I would share my
     experience.

     "Mountain cedar", aka "post cedar" or "Mexican cedar" is a common
     evergreen here in central Texas, where it is typically used as fence
     posts.  I have had two different stumps in my aquarium for the past 6
     years, with absolutely no problem.  However, that species is formally
     known as ashe juniper, Juniperus ashei.  Thus, it is actually a
     juniper, not a cedar, despite it's common name.  I believe aquarium
     suitability is dependent upon what species you have.

     I can vouch for the suitability of ashe juniper in aquaria.  My black
     skirt tetras have lived with it for six years, and my SAE's graze the
     stump constantly.  Handsome, too.

     Regards,

     Mark