No Subject

> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:21:45 -0700
> From: "Bev" <bevgreen at cygnus_uwa.edu.au>
> Subject: planted tank
>
> Hi all,
> I am setting up a 120x45x45cm heavily planted tank, my first tank for
> plants mainly.
> I was planning on four, four foot tubes which would give me about 2.6 watts
> per gallon is this adequate to grow most aquaic plants?

We have four 4' tubes over our 100g tanks (1.6 w/g) and we can grow any plants
we want. Since we use high intensity, full spectrum bulbs (Triton and Penn Plax
Ultra Tri-Lux), we almost have too much intensity (H. corymbosa seems to get too
red with protective pigments).

> My local aquatic dealer sells sintered glass
> impregnated with iron has anyone used this?

Is the iron available to the plants?  I've never heard of this.

> Also what tube combination would be recomended
> what about an aquastar a growlux and 2 cool whites.?

If you want the highest intensity from you 4 bulb setup, I would recommend
Triton and Ultra Tri-Lux.

George Booth
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/AquaticConcepts/