Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #354

Forrest King wrote:

[snip]

> Does it make sense that different spectrums of light can dramatically affect
> the color of plants? Tritons are a lot more red than cool whites. Maybe the
> extra color is used by pigments other than chlorophyll?

It makes sense to me, but I think that normally spectral differences
create secondary effects that are very difficult to sort out from the
other things going on in a tank.

If the on-line advertisers literature I've seen is correct (big
supposition) then cool-whites aren't just low in red, but nearly devoid of
any red component.  Tritons are a triphosphor light with a true red peak,
unlike some triphosphors that have a "red" peak that's actually in the
orange range.

Roger Miller