acquiring sand/gravel

Hi everybody
I was hoping people could give me some advice in purchasing gravel. I don't
like getting the stuff from the pet store, because it is much too expensive
and too coarse. I have tried getting some coarse sand from a gravel place
and it was free, but it turned out to have a lot of shells in it which
raised the hardness of my RO water too much. Can anybody share where they
acquire coarse sand/gravel for a planted tank. I live in southern Ohio, if
that is relevant.
Thank you