black spots on java ferns

While reading your response to Alysoun's post, I remembered something
that I wanted to ask a little while back.(before the H..., G... thing
got started)
I had beautiful emerald green growth from my java ferns the firts two
months aftr my tank waaas set up.  Now, aafter only five months, they
have reverted back to a dull, darkish green with blackenign edges.
Could this possibly be a nutrient deficiency?  Or is it caused from too
much lighting(I know that may sound sacreligious).

?
Joe