SAEs and Aggression

Hi,
The following comments have been raised regards a tendency
for SAEs to display aggressive despite the general feeling that they
are social fish. I'd like to add my observations. The three SAEs in
my tank are now about 1 1/2 inches.

>> The other thing I don't care for about SAEs is their
>> tendency to get territorial toward their own kind.  I
>> had three in a 20gal tank and the slightly larger, and
>> therefore dominant, one always chased the other two
>> away from food.  They actually starved to death.  Now
>> the dominant one is alone and will remain that way.

I have had a  very  similar observation.  All three are similarly sized.  I
will take careful note to see if the aggressor is  _slightly_  larger.  The
behavior is also transitory and I have been searching for a pattern:  is it
when algae is low and appears scarce?  Is it a defensive reaction to the
other fish invading "its" terratory or an offensive behavior where it goes
out of its way to chase the other fish?  Is it gender related?

>I have SAEs in two tanks (a pair in each).  The large pair
>in one tank are and have always been entirely social - they're
>rarely move than a few inches apart.  The half-grown pair in
>the second tank chase each other about - they don't seem
>nearly as social as the adult pair but they also don't seem as
>aggressive as Roxanne describes.  Could this be a gender
>difference?  Perhaps individual variations?  A different but
>similar-appearing species?

So far the aggressive behavior  hasn't caused starvation but I continue to
consider that the one fishes behavior is not fair to the other two and
perhaps I should remove him. Have others had similar experiences?  I
think somewhere there's a common denominator here.

Thanks
Christopher Coleman
christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net