Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #343

>Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 05:12:17 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Eric Deese <edeese at yahoo_com>
>Subject: lighting problem

>This is not the result of a power outage, as I have
>numerous electronic clocks (clock radios/microwave/VCR/etc)
>that reset if the power goes out, but none of them were
>out. Could my house have experienced some kind of a power
>surge that somehow knocked out all of these devices? Was/Is
>there anything I can do to prevent this? Does anyone have
>any idea what might have happened?

*if* you had a neary thunderstorm and *if* youhd electronic
ballasts, they might have been fried by an electromagnetic pulse.

You don't need to take a direct hit from lightening to
sustain damage. We live way out the country and see a lot
of this, modems, fax machines, etc, can be zapped after
a storm easily and commonly. Can't say I've *ever* seen
a fluorescent light taken out, but it's pretty clear something
zapped yorus.

FYI there is a $100 surge protecter that is backed by the
manufacturoe that will replace anything that gets taken out
if it's used. A friend of mine gor 5 new computers when his
got zapped without any hassle.

>Additional, possibly useful information: The only 40W
>fixture that didn't suffer was an older, very heavy,
>tar ballast based fixture. Further, I have five small
>18W "Lights of America" fixtures (el cheapo) that are
>working fine. All other electrical appliances appear to
>be functioning normally, including my home computer,
>which is always on.
>
>Now for the ugly part: Can anyone recommend a specific
>fixture (or ballast only) as replacement part? This is
>going to cost me a wee bit of money to fix. :-(
>I am very biased towards 4 foot 40W (T12) fluorescent
>fixtures. However, I am willing to entertain arguments
>for the newer style electronic T8 fixtures. Specific
>Grainger part numbers would also be helpful, if anyone

You're right, it's going to be expensive. Common magnetic ballasts
are the cheapest, but you'll probably find light fixtures with
ballats for the same price. There are cheap elecronic ballasts
and good ones. The latter (Advance, etc) are worth it if you
want to spend a forture. I don't, I use cheap fixtures
and GE Super Daylight bulbs (the old SPX65) and have no
complaints.

They're a bit low on red as most fluorescnts are and
I've found a $70 (CDN) high pressure sodium 70W
"security" light is more than adequate to make up the
missing red when/where I need it.

--
Richard J. Sexton
richard at aquaria_net