EDTA based Iron TESTING

FORWARDED MESSAGE

From: "Christopher Coleman" <christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net>
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Subject: EDTA based Iron TESTING
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:02:35 -0400

Hi,

I noted recently that some users of PMDD w/ EDTA were
surprised to learn that their iron test kits were not regestering
any chelated iron.

I received this from Seachem technical support today which
may be of value to some. The email was in relation to _which_
iron test kits will work with EDTA based iron:

--------------- begin Seachem technical support email
Our [Seachem] iron kit will measure EDTA iron, but it takes about 20 minutes
as
opposed to less than 2 minutes for non-EDTA iron. The test kit has to have
provison for creating conditions in the test that will cause the release of
iron from the EDTA chelate before it can be reacted with an indicator dye.
Since EDTA is an exceptionally strong chelator, this is not always easy or
reliable.
--------------- end Seachem technical support email

Christopher Coleman
christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net