Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #341

Hi Steve,

I would like to second your suggestion to use ONLY metric units. There
are only two years left to do it in the 20th century!

As to what one can do to convince manufacturers of aquarium analytical
kits to switch? Why, there ARE some manufacturers that did it on their
own. I own a LaMotte water hardness kit and it is calibrarted in ppm,
with directions on how to convert the reading to "degrees". There must
be more such manufacturers.

Very often I read in different posts "which kit should I buy" questions.
One should ALWAYS answer XYZ kit, BECAUSE it is calibrated in ppm -- the
generally accepted units! Similar minded people should change the write
ups on their web pages, and so on... It is quite OK to recommend a
specific product -- or give it a negative rating -- if in some way it is
superior (or inferior) to others. "Consumer Reports" do it all the time!

All of us have seen products that have directions in 17 or so languages.
That was NOT done because the CEO is a polyglot -- they just want to
sell more widgets around the world!

So, let's use the power of the press, and of the purse, to "drag" all
kit manufacturers and hobbyists into the 20th century, at least in
respect to analytical units used.

Best,

George S