Val taking over tank

I have a problem with valisneria americana taking over a tank.  I thought
it wuold be a nice background covering the back of the tank -- and it would
have been, if it had stayed there.  Pulling it up in the places where I
don't want it is problematic, since I have a clay/vermiculite substrate
that clouds the water when rooted plants are pulled up.  Any suggestions,
either for this tank or for future tanks that I might put val in?
Thanks,
Lewis