Finally got my tank up and running

Hello All:

Finally got my plant tank set up yesterday. 60 cm 50l effort, so its
a bit shallow, but then I picked it up for R50 (about $8 US I
think)Substrate is a bit over 1cm of red subsoil, 2.5cm of clay
topsoil mixed half/half with vermiculite, and 10 ml of my own trace
element mixture in the bottom cm of this layer (equive: 2/3 tsp FTE),
toped with 2.5 cm of silica filter sand. Basically a synthesis of
Steve and Jim Kelly's ideas). Water column fertiliser is Steve's mix,
which makes sense. CO2 injection via yeast bottle method. Lighting
at the moment is a single Osram BioLux 18watt Daylight 6500K in a
homemade fitting with a polished metal reflector. I'll be adding
another BioLux over the weekend to give a total of 36 watts. Plants
are Valisneria, Eleocharis, Lugwidia repens, Alternathera and a
Microsorium on some wood. I'll be adding Vesicularia, Lemna,
Ceratophyllum and an indigenous sedge (looks like a coarse and short
Eleocharis with leaves that curl) later today, and a couple of
Crytocorine wendti (I think...) in about a month. No filter. Haven't
had one since....umm....1987 I think.

Hmm Sun just came up. Time to get some work done.

Jacques

Jacques Gerber
Botany Department
Rhodes University