Re: Copper Colored Vals

Someone wrote:
>> In the last week or so, my corkscrew vals have begun turning a reddish
>>brown.
>> At first I thought the leaves were dying, but after inspecting them they
>> appear to be healthy.....The lighting is 160w of
>> flourescent lighting over a 55 gallon tank for about 13 hrs a day.

I was having the same results with my Giant Vals. I found it to be a
function of the light intesity, and nothing to be concerned about. In fact,
my most explosive growth periods were the times that the vals turned
"copper colored". With 160W of light over a 55 Gal tank, I'm certain that
is what you are experiencing. They are quite happy, and will reward you
with lots of offshoots.

Augustine Rodriguez
Elk Mound, WI, USA