Flourescent Questions

>Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:38:22 -0400
>From: "Merrill Cohen" <amc2 at ix_netcom.com>
>Subject: Re: Flourescent Questions
>
>Chlayne asked:
>
>I need to replace the 3 x 20W flourescent bulbs I have over my 29 gallon
>tank and would really appreciate some suggestions on which kind to get.
>What is a Triton bulb and are these better?
>
>What brands do you recommend and where can I find them?  The brands I have
>seen here are Power Glo,  Vita-Lite, Penn Plax Aquari-Lux, Coralife
>Trichromatic, Spectramax, Color Max and 10,000K.  Also saw a plant bulb
>from
>GE at Walmart.  Are any of these any good?
>
>Chlayne;
>
>IMHO Triton bulbs are better and turn out less expensive in the long run.
>Triton was developed for the purpose of growing plants and corals in
>
>Merrill Cohen
>AGA

IMHO, the Coralife 10,000K is too yellow.  Since I put one over my 30 gallon
tank, I've been quite happy with the growth, but the red tones are pale
(they're quite dark when I transplant them to another tank).  I supplement
it with an Aqua Glow, otherwise the whole tank appears to be varying shades
of yellow-green.

Power Glow is great for fish colors, but I haven't seen it on a planted
tank.  It looks great on Malawi cichlids, though.

Alysoun "my next bulb will be a Triton" McLaughlin
alysoun at planetall_com
Wheaton, Maryland, where we had three pairs of apistos spawn when the
thunderstorm started this past weekend.