Re: Backgrounds

Kuduz asked if anyone has used smooth stones for a background.  I have a
90 gallon with a stone and wood background using both smooth "river"
stones and slate.  For awhile during an algae problem they were covered
and I had to manually brush the stuff off with a toothbrush if I wanted to
see the rocks.  However now they are sparkling clean with no algae.  The
only caution I would state is that as others have mentioned you need to
make sure to completley cover the back.  I was lazy and in a hurry and
thus my background looks very spotty with large gaps between the rocks.
Otherwise it looks great.  Also it is best to use one type of rock for the
entire background as this will look more natural than several types.

Good luck and have fun with it.

o    Mike Nielsen                                                        u
m    Department of Geography         THE OPTIMIST BELIEVES WE LIVE IN    ?
a    Harvill Bldg Box #2             THE BEST OF ALL POSSIBLE WORLDS;    w
r    Tucson, AZ 85721                THE PESSIMIST FEARS THIS IS SO      h
e    mnielsen at u_arizona.edu                                              o