shells in gravel in the West

Bob Dixon challenged my statement that I had trouble
locating shell-less gravel in California.  Well, I did, and
yes, I purchased the gravel from an aquarium store
(after checking all the local fish stores AND local
gravel distributors).

Basically, gravel is only mined from a finite number of
places locally.  I'm sure the trucking costs are
astronomical, so they like to mine it locally whenever
possible.  This is why you don't see shells in your
gravel.  Your sources probably come from locally
mined stream courses.
Mine seem to come from sites near the beach - this
makes sense, at least to me.

And, yes, the little white fragments bubble profusely in
acid - I tested it.

Please note new email address:

Roxanne Bittman, Botanist
Natural Diversity Database