Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #299

> From: Reid Kerr <rkerr at netcom_ca>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #298

	(big snip)

> Third, my floating water sprite
> is behaving strangely:  Any leaves which float directly on the surface
> are fine, but any leaves on the same plants which are actually BELOW the
> surface go a sickly looking yellow/brown/black color.

	I have Frogbit that behaves that way when the tank is running
short of nitrogen.  I don't think it is the fact that the leaves are
submerged that makes the difference, it is just that older leaves are
affected first, and they are on the periphery of the plant, and sink
when they decay.  It is easy to tell when the nitrate concentration
in the tank is very low, and the problem is immediately fixed by addition
of potassium nitrate.  I don't think it is potassium shortage - potassium
sulphate doesn't fix it.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada