Re: Backgrounds

Jeff,

Most of our tanks have backgrounds made from matte board from
the art supply/crafts store -- there are hundreds of shades of color
to choose from, from soft to bold.  It's not expensive, and you can
change it if you get tired of it after a while!  But I have to tell you
about the different background on a tank I just did!  It might not be to

everyone's taste, but I like it.

It's a 20-gallon long tank.  I used bits of colored glass left over from

various stained-glass projects, and made a random mosaic by
epoxying them to the outside back of the tank.  The colors are mostly
soft browns, blues and greens, with no particular pattern -- the pieces
of glass are about 1 to 1.5 inches each.

I admit up front that I am a bit of a magpie -- I love color.  The
effect in this tank is mostly very subtle, with all the plants in it,
but
when the sun glances into the tank from the window on the adjacent
side of the room (which it does for about 2 hours each morning), I
feel like my fish have their own cathedral!

Cheers,
Pat JJ

Kudzu wrote:

Looking for ideas for a background for my 60 gallon tank. Does anyone
use
anything that really looks great with a planted tank? I have almost
bought
one of the typical mylar (?) planted backgrounds or rock backgrounds
several
times and back out before they cut it. I have looked at the blue that
fades
from light to dark. Even considered a black one. Just can't decide on
one.

Any great ideas? The green wall behind the tank and the hose and cords
just
don't get it anymore.

Has anyone ever heard of using mineral oil (or something like that)
between
the glass and the backgrounds? I read this in the NG's once and cant
remember if it was mineral oil or something else. The poster said it
made
them adhere to the glass with no gaps.

Jeff <*\\><
"Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds
on the heel that has crushed it" Mark Twain
www.airnet.net/kudzu/ "Kudzu's Christian Clipart Collection"