funny little white spheres

Hoping there is an answer for this mystery.

This afternoon my brother in law and I tore down a planted 10 gallon
desktop tank.  we discovered a good number of funny little white spheres,
about 1/8" in diameter.  At first I thought they were small snails, but
upon closer inspection, realized that they were completely sealed.  The
outer surface was hard, but a squeeze with a fingernail crushed the wall,
and produced a small white cloud which quickly disipated.  Neither of us
has seen anything like it before and we are quite curious about them.

Plants in the tank are 20+ cryptocoryne wendtii, and several echinodorus
bleheri.  Fish are several tetras, and a couple German rams.

Any ideas?

Thayer

--

Thayer Syme                                            Model Aviation Homepage
San Francisco      http://www.sirius.com/~thayer/modelhp.html