Re: heat from flourescent lights

On Fri, 29 May 1998, 323400 wrote:

> I d lik someone tell me about a fluorescent model called aqua-glo, 15
> watts. My tank is 60 litres and it s always overheat. I d like to receive
> information about another kind of tubes, to get the same light power but
> not so warm.

Most of the tubes I've seen run at about the same temperature, but
different fixtures will create different temperature increases.  To keep
things from overheating you might try to ventilate the hood or (even
better) rewire the fixture so that the ballast is away from the tank.
Much (most?) of the waste heat generated in a flourescent light fixture
comes from the ballast, not from the tube.

Roger Miller