Driftwood problem

Hi,

I recently purchased large peices of wood that was meant for terranium gekkos
and lizards.  The lady at the pet store said I would have no problem adding it
to my aquarium.  But when I added it to my 200 gallon aquarium, by next day,
the water clouded a dark brownish black color.  So I took them out, are there
any steps of treatment I was suppose to take before added it in?  Or was this
wood not meant to be placed in the aquarium...if so...I will return it.  Any
information would be greatly appreciated

Sincerely,

Allen