[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Copper sulfate



>
>Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 10:39:14 -0500
>From: David Soh <dsoh at iastate_edu>
>Subject: Copper sulfate
>
>APD  members,
>I have a 90 gal. planted tank that's beginning to be overrun by what I
>think is brush algae. It has been about 4 years since it was set up. And i
>tried using reagent grade  CuSO4 to eradicate the algae with about 1/4
>teaspoon of it. Bad idea. 

Definitely. 
with ~ 25%  Copper in  Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate (CuSO4*5H2O), 1 gm in 50
gallons of water would give you 1.3ppm. I am guessing that a 1/4 t is 1
-1.5 gms. So your concentrations may have approached 2ppm!  Unless you have
hard water, I bet you lost all cyprinids and livebearers, right?

Some of the more sensitive fishes and some spiral
>vals died. 

I bet none of the Val survive.

>So i changed about 80% of the water.

A good step, you now have approximately the correct Cu level for the
treatment without fish.
The next step is to get a good Cu test kit and adjust the Cu level. I have
used the Lamotte and like it. Otherwise, get the Cu out with a 100% water
change.

 My next plan is to move all
>the fishes to another tank and and try it again with CuSo4 and shut down
>the lights for a week. Anyone knows of the right dose to use CuSO4.

0.5ppm for 7 days.  

It is
>the next best thing to totally tear down the tank. Any suggestions or
>advices will be well appreciated. 

See <http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/Krib/Plants/Algae/red-algae.html>

I don't care if some of the more
>sensitive plants die as i have some reserves in my other tanks or is this
>plan a little drastic ?   TIA.

I recommend this as a last resort... but since you have already taken the
plunge, you might as well swim for a while,

Neil Frank, AGA