Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #260

Kevin wrote:

>      I know that it is recommended we try to keep the oxidation levels in
> our planted tanks down so as to avoid losing the nutrients our plants
> need.

Paul Sears posted some info a while back that indicated that we really
don't need to worry much about oxidation of trace elements.  I have
nothing much new to add to that.

> We try to eliminate super efficient oxidizing filters.

Well, some of us try to run without nitrifying filters.  They aren't
really big-time oxidizers like ozone generators or UV sterilizers might
be.

> I know
> some plants like Barclaya longifolia suffer if oxidation levels are too
> high.  Without access to equipment to measure the oxidation level could
> anyone give me an idea what the level would be in the following
> scenario.  I realize it depends on lighting, pH and temperature.   But
> let's say we have 20 gallon tank with adequate lighting ,a hang on the
> back filter with much surface agitation and even an airstone.

In a planted tank with lighting adequate for good plant growth, strong
surface agitation and an airstone, you should get well-aerated conditions
without "way" supersaturating with oxygen.

> In a tank
> like this could we assume most nutrients would be put in a state
> unavailable to the plants fairly quickly.  How much more rapidly would
> this occur than a tank with minimal surface movement.

With minimal surface movement plant waste oxygen can build up to pretty
high levels - well above the levels you get from the filtration and
aeration you described.  If you want to worry about oxidation, then keep
the water moving to drive out the oxygen.  This will also drive out the
CO2.

> If you had a fast
> moving filter and airstone  to support fish that enjoyed higher oxygen
> levels and water current,  is the best way to compensate and still give
> nutrients to the plants to increase the amount of fertilizer?

Probably don't need to do any compensating.

>     What plants would do well in a more oxidizing environment.

Is there an ORP guru out there that can tell us what ORP measures and how
an ORP meter does it?  I'm more familiar with Eh and pe as measures of
oxidation and I don't think those are meaningful measures of anything in
aquaria.

Roger Miller
In Albuquerque, grumbling about useless technology