Peat in substrates

I've been considering this idea for a couple weeks now, since I first brought
the subject up.  Someone on the Apisto list posted the following:

>I am running in a new 55 gl. tank using peat as part of the substrate, rather
than using it >as a filter media.  Plant growth rates (in combination with
clay, pumice - to prevent >caking -, and gravel) are absolutely awesome in
this substrate.

Anyone else on this list who has run a peat-pumice-clay-gravel substrate, I'd
appreciate hearing about it, either on- or off-list.

Bob Dixon
idmiamibob at aol_com