dormant period

hi all,

I have a Apon. rigidfolius that is losing its leaves--they just seem to
come loose and float to the top.  Is this normal--tank has only been
planted for about 3 weeks now--or am I loosing this plant?

I also have a Apon. ulvaceous that is doing well, except for a few of
the leaves turning thin and brown--I cleared those out yesterday as they
were just to ugly to look at anymore :)  This plant also bloomed into a
ugly flower that wrapped across the top of my water --doubling around.
This flower spike grew VERY fast and I also cut it off yesterday--it
just was not pretty!  Reading about this plant it says not to forget it
has a dormant period--what the heck does that mean and what do I do
about it?

Thanks,
--
Kelly