Funny little Green Things

I am curious. Volvox can be beastly hard to grow when you WANT to grow it.
There is another "odd" thing that I have occasionally found growing on the
glass of my aquariums, and I think it is called "Plumaria." I was told that it
is a bit like a cross between a plant and a colonial animal - it grows little
plumes that are spaced upon a slender thread. The plumes MOVE, but the food
supply is apparently from chloroplasts within them.

Since we have some serious Botanists on this List, could anyone explain this
stuff?  I was told the "Plumarea" was virtually impossible to grow in a
laboratory setting.

Just curiosity, folks!

Jean Olson
JOlson8590 at AOL_com