Re: Water Chemistry -- Remedial Help

Alysoun Mclaughlin wrote:

> I would also like to find a book which provides one or more of the
> following:
>
> 1)  Pictures and descriptions of a large number of plants, especially those
> which are less common (not just a few of the same old pictures and
> descriptions of rotala, swords and crypts);

Good luck finding Rataj and Horeman.  It has lots of photos and
descriptions of plants, but its short on good husbandry information.

> 2)  Detailed information about water chemistry, including explanations of
> why it matters (for instance, what you're actually testing when you use X
> product, and what that means, why we can or can't use it as a reliable
> indicator of a broader condition, what Y product does to your water and why
> fish/plants need it);

"Advanced Aquarist" by Ghadially (a reference you've already been given)
comes about as close to this as anything I've seen.  This too will be hard
to find.

The approach on this mailing list is rather heavily slanted toward
(paraphrasing the old ad campaign) "better horticulture through
chemistry".  While I find the chemistry interesting I think that a) you
may be stressing this need too much b) the source you're looking for may
not exist and c) this might be something where there's more good questions
than there are good answers. The last two points probably explains why the
topic is discussed so much on this list.

> 3)  Detailed troubleshooting information, including explanations of what's
> going on (not just "Cryptocoryne disease, treat with X product");

As you know, the inexpensive Barron's book is pretty good for this.  I'm
not sure there's anything better.  The Krib contains lots of
trouble-shooting information.  Combing through that for a while might be
helpful.

> With, of course, the emphasis on #2.  It seems there's a lot of criticism on
> this list of how most aquarium literature handles the issue -- am I
> searching for the holy grail?  IS there a book or FAQ in existence which can
> serve as a primer on basic water chemistry, without excluding important
> variables or leading me into false assumptions?

You might look at the Baensch atlases (Rael and Baensch, I think.  Maybe
someone else can help with the full title), which is in at least 3 volumes
now.  I don't have them all, but I know many people are pleased with the
information they contain.  What I've seen quoted from them seems to be in
the "intermediate" category you're looking for.

Roger Miller

In Albuquerque, where the spring winds have passed and hot air balloons
are once again flying every morning.