Plant Legislation, also an Anubias Question

One of the fascinating things about the Internet is both the amount of
accurate information that comes from unexpected sources, and the number of Web
Pages that you don't know about!

Mark, in Texas, is correct regarding Iowa and Parrots Feather. There was a
series of articles recently in the Sunday Des Moines Register ("The Newspaper
Iowa Depends upon") about exotics in Iowa, and they were VERY specific about
Parrots Feather, and used the Latin name, Myriophyllum aquaticum, and called
it "Parrots Feather," and further detailed how it was innocently used in Lily
Ponds but had escaped. One of the DNR Biologists was directly quoted, several
times, along with a Conservation Officer.

Well, golly gee whiz!  Mark's reference to the Iowa DNR Web page is entirely
correct. I was unaware that they even HAD a page!  Now I know why I am so
happy. Ignorance is bliss. :-/

The law is quite specific, referring to Myriophyllum spicatum, Eurasian Water
Milfoil. I would suppose that a "correction" was printed, obscurely, in one of
the Daily papers. :-(

Now you know why I tend to view excited reporting about such things as, for
example, Scandals In Washington with some doubt as to what REALLY may or may
not have happened. Ah, well, the good thing about this country is the way
skeptics keep us all from being entirely brainwashed, even about "exotic
plants." Well, some of the time, anyway! :-)

So, I will again get some Parrots Feather, and enjoy it. I have been warned
that, should I be successful in getting Lotus established in a four and a half
acre pond I own, I will never be able to eradicate it. I think it is
acceptable, however.

I knew about Eurasian Water Milfoil, also Lythrum salicaria, Purple
Loosestrife, but couldn't pull them out of my memory when writing my original
post. Sorry, folks. May Day Brain Paralysis, I guess. :-/

Any suggestions about how to get Reed Canary Grass out of my big pond?  It has
just about ruined it for any use. Kind of a Canary Grass Jungle, and I
literally have to POLE my way about. No fun at all, unless I feel like
pretending I am in the African Queen.

Anubias Question:  I have some very large, OLD specimens of A. nana, the BIG
variety, which are growing out of their tanks. Should I "nick" the stems and
leave them for a few weeks before severing them, or just slice 'em off?  I
want to plant the ends in other tanks, and I hope to keep them growing, with
as little setback as possible. As you all know, Anubias are definitely really
NICE aquarium plants, but they do seem to require a very patient attitude. :-)

Cheers, all!

Jean Olson
JOlson8590 at AOL_com