Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #238

As a comment on the discussion of the role of laterite in the substrate I
feel I should share my years of experience with soil having a high clay
content.  When a tank is first set up the plants grow just fine without any
additional fertilization.  I assume this to be due to the nutrients already
in the soil.  After about 6 months, the plants start to slow down.  At this
point I start adding Kent's liquid trace elements and the growth and
vitality of the plants pick up.  I have compared these tanks to similar
tanks set up without soil in the substrate and the plants with the soil
substrate always do better.  Most of my tanks have 2 watts of cool white
florescent light and DIY co2.  It's all I can do to control the growth and
leave some swimming space for the fish.  Based on my experience, I don't
feel that laterite is necessary if soil is in the substrate.

Joe Hildreth AGA