Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #212

> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:42:29 -0600 (MDT)
> From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
>
> When the problem with deformed leaves returned it came along with holes
> developing in the interior of older leaves and general thinning of the
> leaves until they were translucent and lace-like.  The fact that these
> symptoms came on with the reappearance of the Ca deficiency and that you
> have a similar combination of symptoms suggests to me that the problems
> are related.  Possibly through a substrate problem.
>
> I don't know if any of this is helpful, but it might prompt someone else
> with a solution to respond.

Since you know you have insufficient Ca in your soft tap water, do you
think it might be a bit low in Mg as well?  I may be stretching it, but
my garden tomato plants show Mg deficiency towards the end of the summer
by yellowing and necrosis between the veins of older leaves.

> What I'm thinking of is 1) repeating the kitty litter treatment on the
> assumption that what I added originally settled through the substrate and
> isn't available any more 2) doing something like the kitty litter
> treatment, but use peat instead  3) inserting some crumbs of white blackboard
> chalk (CaCO3) into the substrate around the plant 3) adding some boron
> (from borax?).
>
> Other ideas?

I wonder what the addition of a small amount of epsom salts as well as some
calcium chloride would do for your plants?  Keeping a piece of shell in your
tank or filter could provide long term slow release of calcium.

If you try boron, be really conservative in the amount because B is pretty
toxic at low levels, unlike Ca and Mg.

I hope this helps.  Let us know what happens.