Re: fuzzy plants

> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 06:42:55 -0400
> From: Kelly <apples at midohio_net>
>
> Day 10 in my planted 120g tank--most things look good except a few of
> the bigger plants have a 'fuzz' on their leaves.  I assume this is some
> type of algae--what kind?  Sould I get a few algae eater fish or use
> some algae-destroyer in a bottle?

You should have added a few algae eaters as soon as you planted the plants. By
all means, add some now.

Planted tanks show very minimal ammonia and nitrite spikes during cycling, so
algae eaters are not at risk during this time.  However, since the new plants
are recovering from their incarceration at the LFS, they are not using nutrients
as fast as they will later.  This gives any algae spores present in the new
setup a chance at the extra nutrients.  Algae eaters present from the very
minute of startup will be hungry and will consume every last bit of the nasty
stuff, preventing any from gaining a foothold.

George "Algae-eaters-right-away prig"