Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #218

> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:37:48 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Tom Petersen <peter334 at tc_umn.edu>
>
> I noticed a question earlier about starting water lotus from seeds.  Did
> this question get a response?  I also am interested in planting some water
> canna seeds.  Has anyone got info on these?  They are very hard and
> impenetrable...Do they need to soak for a long time?

A traditional method for canna seeds and others with really hard seed
coats is to either chip off a piece of the seed coat or to sandpaper
the seed coat thin in one spot.  Water can get in through the small spot
and the seed will germinate.

Many hard coated seeds are eaten by birds in nature and passed out with the
feces after the gravel-filled gizzard has worked them over.