Re: American Flagflish

>Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:55:44 -0400
>From: "John & Denise Haydt" <haydt at voicenet_com>
>Subject: Re: American Flagflish
>
>With all of the Flagfish discussion going on I decided to look it up.  Was
>listed in one reference in the 'Toothed Carp' family.  One LFS guy told me
>it was a Cichlid.  An APDer called it a Killiefish.  Anyone care to clear
>this up?

There is a Flag Cichlid.  This is a South American species.
http://www.riebesell.net/aquaria/laetacara_curviceps.shtml

However, the American Flagfish is Jordanella floridae, a Killifish, or
Egg-laying Toothed Carp.
http://199.245.112.101/nanfa/magazine/5thgroup/flag2.htm

To me, flagfish look like brightly colored mollies, except they're killies
instead of livebearers.

--
David W. Webb