Re: American Flagflish

     >With all of the Flagfish discussion going on I decided to look it up.
     >Was listed in one reference in the 'Toothed Carp' family.  One LFS
     >guy told me it was a Cichlid.  An APDer called it a Killiefish.
     >Anyone care to clear this up?

     The flagfish, Jordanella floridae, belongs to the family
     Cyprinodontidae, which is the killifish family.  The family Cyprinidae
     contains carps and minnows, and the similar family name may have
     caused some confusion.  Cichlids and flagfish are not even closely
     related--they belong to different Orders (Perciformes and
     Atheriniformes, respectively).

     Regards,

     Mark