Re:Flagfish are the best

Michael wrote;

>This is just to thank the person who suggested using flagfish in
place of the hard to find SAE.  I got 8 flagfish of a 90 gal tank that
had a
terrible, awful green hair algae problem.  After about 10 days I have
gone from a nightmare to a perfectly, absolutely clean tank.  I was
sick at thetime I bought the fish so I did not even mechanically
remove any of the algae, the fish did all the work.  They have not
touched any plants, even softies like combomba or hygros which my
previous rainbows loved to eat.

Can't say good enough stuff about those wonderful american flagfish.

I certainly agree that they are great algae eaters.  I think 8 of them
in a 90g might be more than you need.  I put 2 in a 55g and within 2
weeks they cleaned up all the thread and hair algae and continue to
keep it in check.

Scotty wrote,
>I agree with you about their algae appetites ! My problem with them
is that they are fin nippers in the worst way. They even bit chunks
out of female guppies tails.

I haven't had any problems with them nipping fins. Perhaps you have
too many in too small of a tank.