Re: Open for discussion

> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:41:15 -0400
> From: "Merrill Cohen" <amc2 at ix_netcom.com>

> What are your thoughts?

Since I'm in a generally crusty mood today, I'll bite (pun intended).

> FACT:  Florida produces more aquatic plants than anywhere else in the
> World.

Counterfact: Even SE Asia?

> FACT:  The outdoor ponds in Florida do not have undergravel heating nor
> does Tropica in Denmark in their hydroponics growing (no substrate --
> plants in "rock wool" or on "driftwood" - never have been in soil,
> "laterite" or gravel.

Counterfact: Maybe the radiation from the hot Florida sun beating down on the
plant ponds warms the dark mud substrate and has the same effect as heating
coils.

Counterfact: Ummm, Tropica grows most of their plants emersed and we don't. Thus
the plants hae never been in water, either.

> FACT:  Plants raised in Florida have never had "laterite".

Counterfact: Plants growing naturally in SE Asia have had a lot of laterite.

> FACT:  The largest variety of aquatic plants are raised in Florida.

See Counterfact 1.

> FACT:  Wild plants shipped out of Florida are gathered from mud base
> (Everglades)

I've never seen the mud base in the Everglades but I don't think I would want it
in my living room, what with the poor aesthetics and rich bug life.

> FACT:  The greatest number of aquatic plants are raised without the
> presence of fish.

Counterfact: Even more tomatoes are raised without the presence of fish.

> FACT:  Over-fertilization brings on algae

Counterfact: Under-fertilization brings on algae.

> Various soil mixtures are used in the ponds with gravel.  Some just use
> "builders' sand" which is different in all parts of Florida and the
> Country.

Gee, Pushak was right!

> One conclusion is that it depends on the expertise of the grower as to the
> necessity to fertilize if an apparent deficiency presents itself. The same
> applies in the aquarium in that every aquarium will be different and
> growing aquatic plants in the aquarium is as much an artform rather than an
> exact science.

What's the official smiley variant for "Well, Duh!".  Sorry, too crusty.

> There are more facts and more conclusions, certainly, which I would like to
> see presented.

I was probably not much help here but I feel better now. Thanks for putting up
with me.

> Dupla has an aquarist that works on two aquariums daily.  Plants that are
> not doing well are replaced in order to present the perfect picture.  It's
> their business.

I think Amano also does this but on a larger scale.

"Art" Booth