Semi-Automatic CO2 bottled system

I have just converted my established 55 Gall planted Discus tank from a
manual bottled CO2 system to what I call a semi-automatic system using a
solenoid valve but no PH controller.

The tank has been running for approx 3 years and the bottled CO2 was
continuously fed into a home built diffuser. Carbonate hardness (KH) is kept
at 3 degrees and PH was always 6.7 +/- 0.1.

Now that I have the CO2 only coming on when the lights are on I notice the
PH swings much more than it used to do. From around 7.2 at lights on to
around 6.8 at lights off. A Pinpoint meter continuously monitors the PH.

The conversion was made from manual to semi-auto in an attempt to save gas
as well as making it far less likely to suffocate the fish (which has
happened to me many years ago).

What is going on here ? Do I simply just need to raise the amount of CO2
going into the tank ? I admit that this new system has not been going on for
very long - perhaps just early days yet. I don`t think that a PH swing of
0.4 in 24 hrs is likely to harm the fish.

Thanks !
andy at ascot_u-net.com