Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #207

Jeff writes:

<<
> This may be a bit off topic. While collecting some plants yesterday in a
> local spring a crawfish backed out of his lair and is now in one of my
> tanks. I posted a note in the NG about what to feed him. (BTW he seemed to
> love the shrimp pellet) Someone wrote back and said that they were plant
> eaters! Has anyone on the list had any experience with crawfish eating
> plants? The reply said they will use their claws to cut off the plants and
> then eat them. Doesn't sound right to me but now I am wondering. >>

I have pulled up crawfish (aka crayfish, aka crawdads) hanging on to the worm
on my fishhook.  I've seen them in ponds picking at fish corpses.  I've never
seen one eating any kind of plant.  I suggest you offer it some worms, frozen
brine, or some other meaty stuff along with cucumber or zuchini and see which
they prefer.  I'd bet a buck they're carnivorous.

Bob Dixon