Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #204

     Roger Miller wrote:

     >Under favorable conditions, hydroxylapatite is essentially insoluble.
     >I turned around a calculation (perhaps a little too quickly?) and
     >found that at pH 8 with 4 degrees of general hardness (all as
     >calcium) hydroxylapatite solubility would allow something like 0.6
     >part per trillion (not a typo) of HPO4 in solution.  With 8 degrees
     >of general hardess this drops to about 0.2 parts per trillion.

     <snip>

     >All that aside, I wasn't aware that hydroxylapatite played a role in
     >water treatment.  Someone might set me straight on that.  <snip>

     Roger,

     I got it from:

     Manahan, S.  1979.  Environmental Chemistry.  Willard Grant Press,
     Boston.

     Chapter 8 is entitled "Water treatment", and phosphorus removal is
     covered in section 8.18.

     My tap water has virtually no phosphate, but ample calcium (18 ppm Ca
     and 6 GH) and high pH (9.8).  I suspect our treatment plant is
     removing phosphate (and lowering hardness), but I do not know how they
     do it.

     Your calculations indicate that in the presence of Ca, there is very
     little soluble PO4.  Many people report phosphate levels of >1 ppm in
     their tanks.  Does this mean they have very little Ca?  Or is the
     phosphorus in another form (organic?) that will not precipitate?

     Regards,

     Mark