MH Wattage and Horticultural Reflectors

Barry Barlow asked about MH lights...

I originally checked out hydroponic places for MH lights/fixtures and
ended up building my own, mostly because of the price (still too high)
and I didn't like the large reflectors.

I got all the electrical components from an lighting supplier and built
the pendents out of galvanized metal buckets. I sprayed the outside a
flat black and the inside white (after a year still no yellowing).

I hang the buckets about 12" from the tank. This also allowed me to put the
ballasts upstairs which helped with the hum.

For my 5' 100 gallon tank I have two 175 watt 4200K bulbs and personally
find them bright enough.

Steve Turner